Project

General

Euclidean Clustering - increase cluster tolerance threeshold

Added by Vandendaele Bastien about 1 year ago

Hi Jan and Alexandre,

I’ m wondering if it’s possible to get a version of SimpleTree where users can specify a larger “cluster tolerance m” threeshold than 0.2m for these three steps:
- An euclidean clustering operation - Produces sub clouds of the clusters
- Euclidean clustering denoising
- Segmentation into tree cloud (range parameter is blocked at 0.2 m too)
As I’m working with point cloud from uav based lidar, the point are more sparse/distant than TLS. Applying a larger threeshold (somewhere between 0.2 m and 1m for ex) should improve the results of these two steps.

Thanks,

Bastien Vandendaele - Udes

Replies (3)

RE: Euclidean Clustering - increase cluster tolerance threeshold - Added by Hackenberg Jan about 1 year ago

Hi Vandendaele
are you able to compile CT by yourself? Then you could easy adapt to what you want to have. I cant support SimpleTree other than via forum atm unfortunately.
Jan

RE: Euclidean Clustering - increase cluster tolerance threeshold - Added by Vandendaele Bastien about 1 year ago

Hi Jan,

Yes I’m working with the team of the University of Sherbrooke and we collaborate to the ellaboration of some pluggins within CompuTree so we can compile it.
Apparently we cannot do anothing on the SimpleTree pluggins (it’s close for development). Should I contact direcly Alexandre for adapting this threshold or can we get some restricted access to modify it by ourselves?

Thanks again,
Cheers,

Bastien Vandendaele, udes

RE: Euclidean Clustering - increase cluster tolerance threeshold - Added by Hackenberg Jan about 1 year ago

Hi Bastien
I am not sure what you mean with close for development of SimpleTree plugin. Maybe that you cannot commit and share back changes that you do. But you can always download the SimpleTree source code, look for the according step, modify in the virtual method (something like createConfigDialog or so, I do not have code open) the according max parameter, compile and use for yourself/and or your team and that is it. Only problem here is that if you update in future to a newer CT version and also clone SimpleTree again, you will have to do the same modification again, as your SimpleTree clone has never received the mods.

SimpleTree is under OS license (GPLv3 it should be) and you are always granted the right to do such minor (or huge and major) changes to the code. Please read this line from GnuSofttwareFoundation:
Specifically, free software means users have the four essential freedoms: (0) to run the program, (1) to study and change the program in source code form, (2) to redistribute exact copies, and (3) to distribute modified versions.

What you asked to do is (1) to study and change the program in source code form.

If you wish to ridistribute on rdinnovation, ask Alexandre, as he is the admin of that forum page. To be honest, I do not see much usefulness in redistributing this change.
Jan

p.s.: You get the SimpleTree source from the acutal reporer_depots script (or similar name). I think this is new, and not every user/devloper found the SimpleTree source code, but its available public.

(1-3/3)